Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Default Fire Escape Rusting

Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬) wrote:
Bookworm wrote:

Thats why North Sea Oil Rigs aren't painted with Dulux.

On a thread hijack......

what would you (or anyone else) recommend for the best stuff to paint
a non-galvanised, rusting, outside steel balcony with then Bookworm. ?

Ours is suffering badly where the previous owners used to bodge it up
with normal gloss paint once in a while.

and... :¬) what would be the best method of preperation to halt
existing rust?

For painting iron/steel exterior items I've always used "Hammerite" paint.
As for halting rust...hmmm! thats a case of how bad its got a hold? for
surface rust I used a bottle of stuff from a car accesory shop, wasn't
cheap and came in a quarter of a pint plastic bottle,for the life of me I
cant remember the name but it contained a chemical that nuetralised the
rust with a protective finish for painting over.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite