Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Sharrock

Default Fire Escape Rusting

"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message
. uk...
wrote:
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
abd08 wrote:
Hi All,

We had our fire escape newly installed about a year ago, and it is
already starting to rust in places. This doesn't seem normal to me,
and I don't think the company has done the work properly.

What do you think I need to check physically on the fire escape,
such that I can basically tell the guy "you should have done X,Y,Z,
this isn't good enough etc etc", and so he doesn't try and fob me
off with "oh, didn't you know you have to repaint these every year"
or similar

Cheers!!
Raj

Outside iron does have to be painted every year...take a look at the
forth bridge. ;-)

Urban Myth

MBQ

Do ya reckon?

Paint will blister (more so on iron) from the suns heat which will then be
enough for rain(water)to penetrate below the surface and find its way onto
the steel,this will then start lifting the paint more heavily as time
progresses.

Hence why maintenance of the outside of a property has to be maintained
where and when its needed every year to keep it in good condition.

I'll stick with my opinion,thanks

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

I recently saw a programme on TV; about ..... the Forth Rail Bridge !
Apparently it's in the process of being encased in a 'plastic ' coating.

A moments googling ( actually 0.22 Seconds) revealed
;-http://www.forthbridges.org.uk/railbridgemain.htm

quote
The coating system employed for the steelwork requires blast cleaning to
bare metal; an application of zinc based primer to prevent corrosion (35
microns); a glass flake epoxy intermediate coat providing a barrier (400
microns); and, a polyurethane gloss top coat to give an attractive "Forth
Bridge Red" finish (35 microns) on all of its estimated 400,000mē. This
system which has been tried and tested in an offshore environment is
designed to give a 20*year life which means the bridge may be free of its
legendary painters after 2009 for a short while!
/quote

So; it's not an urban legend that the rail bridge needed an permanent team
of painters to maintain it's surface -even if it was longer than annual
visits between coats; but it will be an urban legend after 2009.

--

Brian