Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Default Fire Escape Rusting

abd08 wrote:
Hi All,

We had our fire escape newly installed about a year ago, and it is
already starting to rust in places. This doesn't seem normal to me, and
I don't think the company has done the work properly.

It may well be normal.

What do you think I need to check physically on the fire escape, such
that I can basically tell the guy "you should have done X,Y,Z, this
isn't good enough etc etc", and so he doesn't try and fob me off with
"oh, didn't you know you have to repaint these every year" or similar

I think you do have to repaint every year.

You might want to go over it and remove all old paint and use a chromate
type primer on it though. It may be that it wasnt given a decent set of
primer in the first place.

Cheers!!
Raj