Martin Angove

Default Supplier of large briefcase-like tool cases?

In message ,
(D.M. Procida) wrote:

I've got a briefcase-sized tool case, about 48x33x18cm. I got it in
Wickes for about £15 - you probably know the kind of thing, it has metal
edging, movable spacers inside, and so on. The kind of thing telephone
engineers tend to drag around with them.

Here's one:
http://custom1.farnell.com/cpc/produ...=cpc+catalogue
&category%5Fname=&product%5Fid=TLTC03X66

Anyway, I'm after something similar, but bigger. I have a 12-track hard
disk recorder that I want to keep safe in it, and if I can arrange it so
that there's a little ventilation around it and below it, I could even
use it in situ.

The recorder is 44x35x12cm, and needs a bit extra all round, which gives
you an idea of the kind of case size required. All I've been able to
find are much more expensive flight cases, costing £100 or more, and I
don't need anything like that - just a larger tool case. Any idea where
I might find what I'm looking for?

Two thoughts spring to mind:

1: Photographic suppliers. Jessops have a range of cases from
280x170x80mm to 480x350x150 (sounds almost right, shame the 350 isn't
400) and 385x235x180mm, own brand, £19.80 to £39.99 and £51.99. Other
suppliers may have similar. Foam is extra, unfortunately. Only mention
Jessops because I happen to have the catalogue to hand.

2: I know you've said you've seen flight cases, but some people will
custom manufacture cases for a lot less money than you might think. Last
one I had made was a few years ago, but we had great service from
Studiocare of Preston (Richard Threlfall). Not to be confused with
StudioSpares, though they also have a good range of cases in their
catalogue.

HTH

Hwyl!

Martin.

--
Martin Angove (it's Cornish for "Smith") - ARM/Digital SA110 RPC
See the Aber Valley -- http://www.tridwr.demon.co.uk/abervalley.html