Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default The $29.95 angle drill continued

Owen Lowe wrote:

wrote:
Milwaukee - $150 X 2 (one year) = $300 annually

I'll gladly pay the postage for you guys replacing your
Milwaukee/Sioux's to ship them to me.

I think you mistunderstood my post. I was following his economic model
for thriftiness.

I am happily hanging on to my Sioux/Milwaukee. However, I use my
Sioux/Milwaukee for drilling and light sanding, not dedicated to
sanding. The intent of my illustration was to expand on this and
earlier reports and experiences that pertained to the $29.95 drills. I
personally would not use a drill of the caliber of Miwalukee as a
dedicated sander as that is not its strong suit.

If all you are wanting to do, knowing that you will wear out the tool
no matter what, is find a solution to spinning sandpaper around (no
accuracy needed) why not go the least expensive route? If a set of
bearings is almost $30 for the S/M on one hand, and on the other you
have a machine under warranty that allows you to replace the whole
thing with no repairs or money at all on your part, why not? I am not
understanding your reluctance to this since the original investment in
the tool you know you will break regardless of the brand, is about
the cost of bearings for the S/M drill and you don't have to go get
them and install them. I think the key for me is that he KNOWS he will
break either machine.

For me, I have my S/M drill that I use when needed on cabinet
installations. But for sanding, I love my $29.95 special that I got
for $24.95 on sale. It spins paper just fine. And if it craps out, I
wlll buy another if it gets out of warranty. i have never drilled a
hole with it though...

Robert