Posted to uk.d-i-y
Paul R

Default stablising a bath

BillP wrote:
"SoWeezy" wrote in message
having a bit of trouble securing a metal bath so it doesn't move, it's a
cheap modern thin metal bath

I've fixed lengths of 6x2 to the floor (they run the length of the bath)
and screwed down the feet but the bath can still move laterally
I can pull it as much as 10mm from the wall and it moves when you lean on
the side to get out

it has really poor fixings for the feet brackets, hooked on either side of
the bath and held tight with a threaded hook and adjusted with a butterfly
nut
I've tightened the nut as much as possible but that hasn't stopped the
movement, I don't want to overtighten it incase it dethreads
there are 2 loops either side of the bath at one end but I don't know what
they're for ?

the bath is flush with the wall along one side and one end and the hoops
are near the other end

any suggestions would be appreciated

thanks

I find an easy and successful way to secure a steel bath the wall is to use
two short lengths of wood, say 6" long 2" x 1" or whatever is handy. Cut a
small V groove near one end, this picks up the lip of the bath rim. Drill a
clearance hole to take a fixing screw, and clamp the bath rim to the wall
using a screw and rawlplug.

See http://www.geocities.com/wjp_gof/BathFix.doc

Works for me.

Best regards Bill

This could be used in conjunction with Silicon. When I installed my
heavier steel bath last year, I asked a local plumbers merchant for the
fixings for the bath, and was recommended to just silicon in the bath.
This is what I did, and seems to work well, with no other fixings.

Paul R