Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Default stablising a bath

SoWeezy wrote:
having a bit of trouble securing a metal bath so it doesn't move, it's a
cheap modern thin metal bath

I've fixed lengths of 6x2 to the floor (they run the length of the bath) and
screwed down the feet but the bath can still move laterally
I can pull it as much as 10mm from the wall and it moves when you lean on
the side to get out

it has really poor fixings for the feet brackets, hooked on either side of
the bath and held tight with a threaded hook and adjusted with a butterfly
nut
I've tightened the nut as much as possible but that hasn't stopped the
movement, I don't want to overtighten it incase it dethreads
there are 2 loops either side of the bath at one end but I don't know what
they're for ?

the bath is flush with the wall along one side and one end and the hoops are
near the other end

any suggestions would be appreciated

thanks

Oh, yes - lots of things you can do with cheap baths.

No 1 thing is to stop the bloody things flexing. That's achieved with
slabs of MDF and lots of Holts P38 car body filler.

Then you have to fix them to the floors and walls - the blasted legs are
usally totally wobbly, and you need something to mount off the bath to
the wall.

L ANGLE brackets are good..these are soft enough to be cut and bent to
fit under the lip pointing upwards. and plenty more car body filler will
sort out the adhesion. Put them where the studs are in a studwork wall,
or when attaching to blockwork, recess the plaster a far but - then tile
over or fill with plaster and repaint.

As far as the front of the bath and sides go, glue timber batten to the
underside of the libs using yet more car body filler, and make up 2x2
studwork framing to support the bath edges. Panel in with ply or MDF and
tile or paint to suit.

Now to get on and stiffen my PLASTIC bath and so the above to it...;-)