Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Owen Lowe

Default The $29.95 angle drill continued

In article .com,
"robo hippy" wrote:

$150 for 6 months vs $30 times 4 (I am figuring 1 1/2 months life) is
$120 for the same time span. The cheap one may be the better deal.

In my opinion, that's not really an accurate comparison.

The cheapie must be *replaced* due to housing failure - an item likely
not easily/inexpensively procured. The Milwaukee/Sioux can be
*repaired*. The upper and lower bearings can both be replaced for, what,
$12-$15 total? (not going to take mine apart to find out what specific
bearings are required - but the general range for "premium"
double-sealed electric motor bearings would likely be less than $5 each
and certainly not a difficult job to do for an owner/user)

So, taking the tool life spans at your values, your comparison should
really be: at 6 months - $150 (M/S) vs. $120; at 12 months - $165 (M/S)
vs. $240; at 24 months $190 (M/S) vs. $480. This doesn't take into
consideration the environmental waste and impact of manufacturing,
shipping, and packaging, plus material waste, involved in purchasing 8
new cheapie units per year.

Mr. Hippy, if you have the habit of throwing away all your tools,
appliances and cars when repairs are needed, I'll be headed down I-5 to
haul this "trash" away for you.

--
Owen Lowe

Northwest Woodturners
Pacific Northwest Woodturning Guild
___
Tips fer Turnin': Place a sign, easily seen as you switch on your lathe, warning you to remove any and all rings from your fingers. Called degloving, extended hardware can grab your ring and rip it off your finger. A pic for the strong of stomach: www.itim.nsw.gov.au/go/objectid/2A3AC703-1321-1C29-70B067DC88E16BFC/index.cfm

Besides, rings can easily mar the surface of a turning as you check for finished smoothness.