Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
robo hippy

Default The $29.95 angle drill continued

If you have followed for a while, I got a cheap Sioux/Milwaukee angle
drill clone last fall. I did an abuse test on it to see how good or bad
it really was. It wore out in less than 2 months, and I did abuse it.
The failure was due to the casing around the drill shaft wearing out,
not the bearings as I thought. If there was metal or other support
around the shaft, it would have lasted longer. I had a few friends who
got them also, and although I haven't heard of any wearing out, there
were some problems with the trigger failing. They were under warrenty,
were returned, and replaced.
The next part of the story is that I next set out to wear out a
Milwaukee drill. It was brand new, and I put it to work as soon as the
cheap one died. The Milwaukee died on Friday. Bearings I think. This is
about a 6 month life span in my shop, which for most other people will
mean a year or five. I run 3 inch discs on it, I blow it out regularly,
I put in some 8 hour sanding days ( yes, I do put some things off too
long and then need to work overtime to catch up). Oh yes, it is the
slow speed model.
$150 for 6 months vs $30 times 4 (I am figuring 1 1/2 months life) is
$120 for the same time span. The cheap one may be the better deal.
robo hippy