Posted to alt.home.repair
Stormin Mormon

Default Should I repair a 30 year old SubZero refrigerator?

I've worked on several Sub Zero refrigerators. Generally well made.
The energy hog is the compressor, which might need to be replaced.
(So, you'd get a new one which is less hoggish). I'd call around, and
get a couple folks opinion over the phone.

I can think of a couple simple reasons why one might not cool.
Including low on freon, inefficient condensor, and a couple others.

Aren't new ones more like a thousand dollars?

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"miamicuse" wrote in message
Just purchased a property and it has a lot of high end appliances.
Among
them a double wide SubZero refrigerator probably was added when the
house
was originally built in 1972. The refrigerator doors have been
altered to
have the same wood finish as the rest of the kitchen cabinetry, but
the
refrigerator does not work. If I plug it in it does not cool and some
smelly fumes come out from the bottom. The house has been vacant for
while and the owner is an elderly man now living in a nursing home, he
had a
stroke and was not able to remember much...

Should I just toss out the refrigerator or try to fix it? It is 33
years
old so is it even worth fixing it or not? If I try to fix it do I get
normal appliance guy or some special SubZero experts? If I toss it
out this
thing is huge I am not sure I can just roll it to the back alley and
wait
for bulk trash pick up. Also all of the appliances in the kitchen
have the
custom wood cabinetry finish, the dish washer, trash compactor,
refrigerator, so if I buy a new refrigerator, it will stick out like a
sore
thumb, not to mention it will be smaller, so the custom built slot it
slides
in, will have room to one side and up.

MC