Posted to alt.home.repair
miamicuse

Default Should I repair a 30 year old SubZero refrigerator?

Just purchased a property and it has a lot of high end appliances. Among
them a double wide SubZero refrigerator probably was added when the house
was originally built in 1972. The refrigerator doors have been altered to
have the same wood finish as the rest of the kitchen cabinetry, but the
refrigerator does not work. If I plug it in it does not cool and some
smelly fumes come out from the bottom. The house has been vacant for a
while and the owner is an elderly man now living in a nursing home, he had a
stroke and was not able to remember much...

Should I just toss out the refrigerator or try to fix it? It is 33 years
old so is it even worth fixing it or not? If I try to fix it do I get a
normal appliance guy or some special SubZero experts? If I toss it out this
thing is huge I am not sure I can just roll it to the back alley and wait
for bulk trash pick up. Also all of the appliances in the kitchen have the
custom wood cabinetry finish, the dish washer, trash compactor,
refrigerator, so if I buy a new refrigerator, it will stick out like a sore
thumb, not to mention it will be smaller, so the custom built slot it slides
in, will have room to one side and up.

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair
Noozer

"miamicuse" wrote in message
Just purchased a property and it has a lot of high end appliances. Among
them a double wide SubZero refrigerator probably was added when the house
was originally built in 1972. The refrigerator doors have been altered to
have the same wood finish as the rest of the kitchen cabinetry,

I think I'd spend a few dollars to have someone come out and take a look. It
won't be cheap, but neither will a new one to match the rest of the kitchen.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Door panels may be resuable.
Dealer / repair can give relative cost of new v fix.
TB

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

Since 03 or so refrigerators have been more efficient from gov
regulation, up to 60% better. With sub zeros equipment on top it is
possibly replaceable, and should be repairable. With the wood you may
want a new sub zero, their efficiency rating is very high compared to
other makes. Your old unit might cost 15-30$ a month to run a new unit
might be 5-7$ a month, there is a payback in new equipment, and utility
rates are going up.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

miamicuse wrote:

Should I just toss out the refrigerator or try to fix it? It is 33
years old

It is likely to cost large $$ to fix it and then you will still have a
33 year old frig that is an energy hog. I would consider replacing it if it
were working.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bill

Taking a lesson from businesses....

Some businesses will *always* repair instead of replacing if the repair cost
is lower than the replacement.

The exception to this rule is if a replacement will have lower energy costs
or result in lower operating costs to the business. In that case, they will
spend almost anything and replace with a quickness so their long term
operating expenses are lower.

So in your case, I would replace it with a quickness as this will result in
lower electric bills. However you have the problem of matching it to the
other appliances (wood) and finding the same size.

Here is the Sub Zero web site showing a new built-in. Might want to call and
ask them...
http://www.subzero.com/subzero/600series.asp

Posted to alt.home.repair
Stormin Mormon

I've worked on several Sub Zero refrigerators. Generally well made.
The energy hog is the compressor, which might need to be replaced.
(So, you'd get a new one which is less hoggish). I'd call around, and
get a couple folks opinion over the phone.

I can think of a couple simple reasons why one might not cool.
Including low on freon, inefficient condensor, and a couple others.

Aren't new ones more like a thousand dollars?

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"miamicuse" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message

Aren't new ones more like a thousand dollars?

Cheap ones are closer to $4000 and up, way up.
http://www3.shopping.com/xGS-Sub-Zer...igerators~NS-1

Posted to alt.home.repair
miamicuse

The inspector told me a comparable one to the size I have will run around
$12000. But it will be SS finish and I have to figure out how to redo the
wood finish.

Thanks,

MC

.

"miamicuse" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Gammon

Stormin Mormon wrote:
I've worked on several Sub Zero refrigerators. Generally well made.
The energy hog is the compressor, which might need to be replaced.
(So, you'd get a new one which is less hoggish). I'd call around, and
get a couple folks opinion over the phone.

I can think of a couple simple reasons why one might not cool.
Including low on freon, inefficient condensor, and a couple others.

Aren't new ones more like a thousand dollars?

New SubZero refrigerators are more like $8K+ and come in models that
allow matching trim to be installed on the doors

Yes, a new compressor with installation is likely to be on the order of
$1k or more, and will dramatically improve the efficiency of the unit.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Gammon

miamicuse wrote:
The inspector told me a comparable one to the size I have will run around
$12000. But it will be SS finish and I have to figure out how to redo the
wood finish.

Thanks,

MC

Other models in the sub zero line DO come with door panel kits that
allow you to attach the SAME door panels and trim that are used on all
other cabinets in the room.

It may just be that for THIS size, the only choice is SS.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Given the unique situation, I would find a good repair company that
works on Sub Zero. I'd have them come out, figure out what's wrong
with it, how much it would cost to fix it, and what the typical life
left in it after that might be. If it needs a new compressor, ask if
the new one will be more energy efficient, etc. Also ask about the
interchange of door panels to other units. If these panels won't fit
current models, it's possible they will fit other older Sub Zeros and
if you can wait awhile, you might be able to locate a used one that you
could sway out.

Normally, I would say junk it. But in this case, it's certainly worth
the cost of a service call to get some accurate info.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Stormin Mormon

That's more than I'd expected. Well, now I know the next time I go
repair one -- and help folks to appreciate how inexpensive I really
am.

Thank you, Ed.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message

Aren't new ones more like a thousand dollars?

Cheap ones are closer to $4000 and up, way up.
http://www3.shopping.com/xGS-Sub-Zer...igerators~NS-1

Posted to alt.home.repair
Stormin Mormon

You mean I coulda got a grand for that compressor I installed? I'm way
too cheap.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Robert Gammon" wrote in message
. net...
Stormin Mormon wrote:
I've worked on several Sub Zero refrigerators. Generally well made.
The energy hog is the compressor, which might need to be replaced.
(So, you'd get a new one which is less hoggish). I'd call around,

and
get a couple folks opinion over the phone.

I can think of a couple simple reasons why one might not cool.
Including low on freon, inefficient condensor, and a couple others.

Aren't new ones more like a thousand dollars?

New SubZero refrigerators are more like $8K+ and come in models that
allow matching trim to be installed on the doors

Yes, a new compressor with installation is likely to be on the order
of
$1k or more, and will dramatically improve the efficiency of the unit.

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

Im sure it is more than just the compressor that has made new units
60%+ more efficient, even replacing the whole cooling system is probably
a good investment compared to buying a new unit. Since it is top mounted
it should not be that hard to do.

If it is recessed, lining the walls and back with R7.2"
Polyisocyanurate foamboard will likely double or more the present
insulation value.

Wood inserts on the doors help alot in insulating. I would bet that if
you measured the doors the panels you have that they can be interchanged
with new models. I did that on a 60s Kitchen Aid diswasher, they fit
perfectly.

Definatly have a repairman get it running then review your options,
find someone that Knows Sub Zero, not a student.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Mon, 08 May 2006 10:30:23 GMT, Robert Gammon
wrote:

miamicuse wrote:
The inspector told me a comparable one to the size I have will run around
$12000. But it will be SS finish and I have to figure out how to redo the

Who is this inspector? Inspector Clouseau?

Never take too seriously what just one guy says.

wood finish.

Thanks,

MC

Other models in the sub zero line DO come with door panel kits that
allow you to attach the SAME door panels and trim that are used on all
other cabinets in the room.

It may just be that for THIS size, the only choice is SS.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to m Ransley, cheeto81 wrote:
according to energy star, a new fridge would only say $700 over 5 years, and a
new subzero costs $10k so you never make your money back in energy savings

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...or-108323-.htm