Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
Gary H

Default Washing machines that are built like commercial machines?

I don't get it. People say things don't last like they used to but how many
of you are using 1950's, 60's, or 70's washing machines or cars? Why would
you want to drive a 1970's gas guzzler with a POS carb that you have to
rebuild every so often. Man, I never want to go back to that old
technology. Well, I do have a 69 VW where it is fun to tinker with but I
sure don't want a daily driver like that. I also like not having keep
adjusting my clothes in the washing machine when they get off balance like
the old machines I have used. The new one I have automatically compensates
for all of that. Also, if manufacturers make things that last forever,
eventually there will be so many and no more will need to be made. Then
what happens? They go out of business and you can't even find parts to
repair your "last for ever" washing machine.

Welcome to the land of reality where things wear out or become obsolete and
need to be replaced. And, if you want to go and use that TRS-80 or IBM PC
Jr be my guest. I am sure you can find some software out there for it if
you look hard enough. But don't expect to be doing any of the cool stuff
that the new ones do.

"F. George McDuffee" wrote in message
On Sat, 06 May 2006 10:51:38 GMT, "Gary H"
wrote:

How long do you want it to last? My Kenmore (Whirlpool) is used a lot and
still going fine after several years. I'm not ready for it to die yet but
eventually it would be nice to replace it with a newer fancier model so if
it goes it goes.

======================
/rant mode on

Why should I have to keep buying the same things over and over?

Washing Machines, Cars, Computers, etc.

Just upgraded the operating system on my main computer so I could
run a 250 gig USB drive and now half of my software and
peripherials such as the scanner won't work -- contact the
manufacturer and get the old so sorry no support for old machine
on new O/S but we give discount on new scanner.

Americans are being played for suckers. Reread "the Waste
makers" by Packard" see
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/067...lance&n=283155

also see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planned_obsolescence

/ran mode off

Unka George
(George McDuffee)

There is something to be said for government by a great aristocracy
which has furnished leaders to the nation in peace and war for
generations;
even a democrat like myself must admit this.

But there is absolutely nothing to be said for government by a plutocracy,
for government by men very powerful in certain lines and gifted with the
"money touch,"
but with ideals which in their essence are merely those of so many
glorified pawnbrokers.

Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919), U.S. Republican (later Progressive)
politician, president. Letter, 15 Nov. 1913.