Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Trevor Jones

Default Quorn tooling grinder questions

Nick Müller wrote:

Andrew Mawson wrote:

They were originally described in a series of articles in Model Engineer,
kits are still available as is the book "The Quorn Universal Tool and
Cutter Grinder" by Prof Chaddock published by Tee publishing ISBN 0 905
100 91 3 which covers the building and use of the machine. There are two
very similar models - the Mk1 & the Mk2

Which version is described in that book? Mk1 or Mk2 or both, or are the
Mk's different to the one in the book? And what's the difference between
the two, please.

I'm interested in the Quorn since longer, but it seems that there are
more than one version around and I don't know which one is the best
(read: most versatile).

TIA,
Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de

Direct quotes from the book.

"The principle difference betwwen the Mk I and the Mk II wheelheads is
the method of mounting the driving motor. By using a flat adapter plate
bolted to the machined end of the Mk I wheelhead bracket casting, any
suitable motor can be readily mounted on the Quorn grinder"

and

"This version of the machine, known as the Mk II and shown in Fig. 1,
is functionally interchangeable with the Mk I and both will be described
in detail in this book. Of the two the Mk II is certainly the neater and
in this writers opinionthe better looking. On the other hand, the Mk I
is the more versatile in that it will accept a wider range of suitable
motors; the Mk II is designed for one specific motor only and, subject
to not exceeding a safe wheel speed, a wider range of pulley ratios."

They both utilise the spiral thread on the column to adjust wheel
height.

Motor specified for the MkII is a Parvalux S.D.13 2800 rpm 1/6 hp
single phase permanent capacitor motor made by Parvalux Elecric Motors
Ltd, Bournmouth, England

Howzat?

Cheers
Trevor Jones