Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

Default Quorn tooling grinder questions

I'm looking for advice on my latest acquisition. It's clearly capable
of more than I know how to do, but I'd like to know if anyone else here
is familiar with the "Quorn" as designed by Professor D.H. Chaddock, and
published in Model Engineer magazine in at least December 1976.

Pictures of a similar if not identical unit here (the one on the right)
http://www.lawm.freeserve.co.uk/quorn.htm

Anyone have one of these beasties, or something similar, who can give me
any advice at all? My limit of experience sharpening tools, is twist
drills on the grinder with a guide, and they come out fine to my eye.
I'm comfortable with geometry and related math, which seems to me I'm
going to need. So it's pretty intimidating right now, all those
adjustments. How do I make this baby work to, say, sharpen a 4-flute
endmill? Obviously I need to order the book, but any advice is welcome.

Oddly enough, if you google for "Quorn", you get a bunch of hits for
some synthetic meat substitute. Amazing what you find on the Internet.

Thanks,
Dave Hinz

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Adam Smith

I bet if you ask this on uk.rec.models.engineering you will find a dozen or
more users of the Quorn.

Adam Smith
Midland ON

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Karl Townsend

Here's a general guide on endmill resharpening. Very well written.

http://www.hanita.com/hanita_protect...info_start.htm

--
(©¿©) An apple a day keeps the doctor away.
Two apples a day gets the doctor's OK.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Randy Replogle

Dave Hinz wrote:
[...]

There's a Yahoo group for this.
Randy
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

On Fri, 5 May 2006 08:53:28 -0400, Adam Smith wrote:
I bet if you ask this on uk.rec.models.engineering you will find a dozen or
more users of the Quorn.

Will do, thank you!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Andrew Mawson

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message
[...]

Dave,

Yes a very capable machine - I have one. They were originally
described in a series of articles in Model Engineer, kits are still
available as is the book "The Quorn Universal Tool and Cutter Grinder"
by Prof Chaddock published by Tee publishing ISBN 0 905 100 91 3 which
covers the building and use of the machine. There are two very similar
models - the Mk1 & the Mk2

There is a yahoo group for quorn owners called quorn_owners and I can
conform it has nothing to do with the meat substitute that I can
remember suffering when times were hard when we bought our first
house, but rather is named afeter the village in Derbyshire where Prof
Chaddock lived !

AWEM

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Dave,

I built one in the mid '80 and can vouch for its usefulness and
VERSATILITY!

In my experience the standard equipment is suitable for sharpening/
grinding all cutting tools in the model engineers workshop: I've
sharpened dove-tail cutters to meet an existing 60 degree angle work
piece (slightly off 60 deg.!) 4 and 6 flute end mills on the sides and
ends, threading tool bits for acme and worm threads, etc.

Because it is such a versatile little machine the individual set-ups
can be tedius....I collect dull endmills of a given size and then have
a production run of sharpening.

The standard work holding mandrel works well for endmills up to 3/8"
dia. For 1/2" dia. and larger an air bearing spindle would be a great
help (I don't have one yet, it's high on my to-do list). The larger
dia. work holding mandrels have too much friction which overcomes the
"touchy-feely" necessary to keep the cutter flute on the tooth rest
while pulling on the mandrel and rotating the cutter....3 simultaneous
requirements!

Getting a copy of the instruction book is probably the best way to go.
If, after reading it you still have questions, just post them on this
NG. Good luck!

Wolfgang

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

On 5 May 2006 08:01:37 -0700, wrote:

Dave,

I built one in the mid '80 and can vouch for its usefulness and
VERSATILITY!

The dozen or so adjustments gave me the idea of versatility, that's for
sure. Also intimidating as hell.

Because it is such a versatile little machine the individual set-ups
can be tedius....I collect dull endmills of a given size and then have
a production run of sharpening.

Sounds like half-inch 4 flute endmills will be my first go then.

The standard work holding mandrel works well for endmills up to 3/8"
dia. For 1/2" dia. and larger an air bearing spindle would be a great
help (I don't have one yet, it's high on my to-do list). The larger
dia. work holding mandrels have too much friction which overcomes the
"touchy-feely" necessary to keep the cutter flute on the tooth rest
while pulling on the mandrel and rotating the cutter....3 simultaneous
requirements!

I shall expect to screw up my first several work pieces then, good to
know.

Getting a copy of the instruction book is probably the best way to go.
If, after reading it you still have questions, just post them on this
NG. Good luck!

Thanks to you and everyone else. I figured this would be a powerful
setup, and am glad to know that it's something that's apparently well
known and not some one-off device with little to no support. It's from
my Uncle, who unfortunately I can't really get very good information
from anymore. Progressive, mind-stealing diseases are a bitch, just for
the record.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Nick Müller

Andrew Mawson wrote:

They were originally described in a series of articles in Model Engineer,
kits are still available as is the book "The Quorn Universal Tool and
Cutter Grinder" by Prof Chaddock published by Tee publishing ISBN 0 905
100 91 3 which covers the building and use of the machine. There are two
very similar models - the Mk1 & the Mk2

Which version is described in that book? Mk1 or Mk2 or both, or are the
Mk's different to the one in the book? And what's the difference between
the two, please.

I'm interested in the Quorn since longer, but it seems that there are
more than one version around and I don't know which one is the best
(read: most versatile).

TIA,
Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Trevor Jones

Dave Hinz wrote:

[...]

As the others have mentioned, Get the Book!

The Quorn was designed to not only resharpen cutters, but to be used to
make cutters in small sizes that were not available at the time. The
book covers setups very well, and pretty much gives the step by step of
setting up for a myriad of sharpening jobs.

It pretty much qualifies as gross overkill, capabilities wise, if all
you wanted to do was sharpen a few drills and endmills.

I know that you bought yours, but one comment that I have seen in print
read along the lines of "If you are not a competent machinist when you
start building this tool, you will be by the time it's done"

Cheers
Trevor Jones

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

On Fri, 05 May 2006 17:36:38 -0600, Trevor Jones wrote:
Dave Hinz wrote:

I'm looking for advice on my latest acquisition. It's clearly capable
of more than I know how to do, but I'd like to know if anyone else here
is familiar with the "Quorn" as designed by Professor D.H. Chaddock, and
published in Model Engineer magazine in at least December 1976.
(snip) How do I make this baby work to, say, sharpen a 4-flute
endmill? Obviously I need to order the book, but any advice is welcome.

As the others have mentioned, Get the Book!

Absolutely. Hoping to find it, actually. This was built by my uncle,
who unfortunately I can't ask technical questions of at this time. But
he must have had the books when he built and used it, but there's tons
(literally) of books to go through.

The Quorn was designed to not only resharpen cutters, but to be used to
make cutters in small sizes that were not available at the time. The
book covers setups very well, and pretty much gives the step by step of
setting up for a myriad of sharpening jobs.

I found an article from 1976 by Chaddock, talking about sharpening
center drills with it. So that's my first setup then, I think, given
that it's the only actual instructions I have so far

It pretty much qualifies as gross overkill, capabilities wise, if all
you wanted to do was sharpen a few drills and endmills.

Right now, I don't know enough about it to know how much I don't know
about it.

I know that you bought yours, but one comment that I have seen in print
read along the lines of "If you are not a competent machinist when you
start building this tool, you will be by the time it's done"

It's a beautiful piece of work, I'll tell you that. So, yes, I don't
get the benefit of making one, but hopefully my background in maths will
help me understand how to use it.

Thanks,
Dave

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Andrew Mawson

"Nick Müller" wrote in message
Andrew Mawson wrote:

[...]

IIRC the Mk2 has a head support column that is spiral grooved for ease
of height adjustment, and a cast aluminium cover over the drice belt.
The two versions though can prettywell do the same tasks.

If you go to the quorn_user Yahoo group and look in the photos
section you will see several of each. Don't forget that they were
never commercially produced, all were made by hobbyists many of whom
incorporated their own ideas.

AWEM

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Trevor Jones

Nick Müller wrote:

Andrew Mawson wrote:

[...]

Direct quotes from the book.

"The principle difference betwwen the Mk I and the Mk II wheelheads is
the method of mounting the driving motor. By using a flat adapter plate
bolted to the machined end of the Mk I wheelhead bracket casting, any
suitable motor can be readily mounted on the Quorn grinder"

and

"This version of the machine, known as the Mk II and shown in Fig. 1,
is functionally interchangeable with the Mk I and both will be described
in detail in this book. Of the two the Mk II is certainly the neater and
in this writers opinionthe better looking. On the other hand, the Mk I
is the more versatile in that it will accept a wider range of suitable
motors; the Mk II is designed for one specific motor only and, subject
to not exceeding a safe wheel speed, a wider range of pulley ratios."

They both utilise the spiral thread on the column to adjust wheel
height.

Motor specified for the MkII is a Parvalux S.D.13 2800 rpm 1/6 hp
single phase permanent capacitor motor made by Parvalux Elecric Motors
Ltd, Bournmouth, England

Howzat?

Cheers
Trevor Jones
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Nick Müller

Trevor Jones wrote:

[differences between Mk I and Mk II snipped]

Howzat?

That explains it all. Thanks a lot for your answer!

Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
DIY-DRO // Eigenbau-Digitalanzeige
http://www.yadro.de
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Brian Lawson

Hey Dave,

Pretty sure Lindsay has a (re)printing of a book(let) by that name.

Anyway, do a Google on "Quorn Tool and Cutter Grinder", and it's a bit
better.

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.