Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
elf

Default Washing machines that are built like commercial machines?

Ignoramus22440 wrote:
snip
I would like to buy a new washer that is built honestly, like Miller
welders or Cummins engines, and not like cost engineered crap that
does not last and is impossible to fix.

Such washers are, apparently, made, at least for commercial
laundromats. (which would not fit our room) Is there a consumer
version of that? Where plastic and potmetal is not used for major
parts, and things are built to last "like they used to".

I do not mind paying top dollar for such a thing if it exists.

Any ideas?

Many ideas, I work in field services for a great company who is a dist.
for commerical laundry equipment. Depends on the loading capacity of
the machine and what you want to spend. The major players today are the
brands such as Unimac, Maytag, Speedqueen, Hubshe, Milinor,
Continental, Wascomat along with a couple more I can't think of right
off hand. The traditional front load type machine often seen by the
general public are those forementioned, normally seen at laundry-mats.

Normally equipped for 3 phase electrical service but can be bought for
single phase home service in 120/220 volts at a higher price. Typical
mounting requirements are concrete floor with minium of about 4 inches.
No wood floors allowed or recommended due to extraction forces placed
on most models even at low extract speeds. Although Unimac carries a
softmount model that does not need to be bolted down as many of the
considered ridgit type machines will need to be.

Cap.sizes from 18 pound to if you want 250 pound and more. Normal size
for most laundry mat machines are 18 to 50 pound capacity. Cost appro.
$3500.00 (For 18 pound) up to $10,000 (50 to 60 pound capacity deluxe
model) Many prices and options. Not normally considered for home use
though due price and inability to have service preformed by local
appliance repair guys.

The top load models seen in laundry-mats are simply a home washer with
a coinbox and slide mounted to the machine, Generally the control
system these types of machines whether it be microprocessor or manual
timer type will be a more simple affair as most folks uses only a
gentle or normal wash cycle. The machines have the same problems as any
home machine as they are the same, except as decribed above. Cost
$600.00 to $1000.00.

If you are really interested in a commerical type, I would suggest
looking contacting a few commerical laundry equipment dist. and asking
if they have any used or rebuilt machines in the 18 to 25 pound class
that are setup for single phase service. Cost still around $1000.00 and
up for the most part, plus professional installation if needed
(Recommended).

I've been working with commerical laundry type of equipment for many
years and still I personally have an old 70's model belt driven
Whirlpool home washer that needs a kick in the butt every so often but
works very nicely. If I had to replace it today with another I would
look at the Whirlpool, Speedqueen and Maytag model topload washer in
that order.
Good luck!

Rusty Bates