Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

Default Quorn tooling grinder questions

On Fri, 05 May 2006 17:36:38 -0600, Trevor Jones wrote:
Dave Hinz wrote:

I'm looking for advice on my latest acquisition. It's clearly capable
of more than I know how to do, but I'd like to know if anyone else here
is familiar with the "Quorn" as designed by Professor D.H. Chaddock, and
published in Model Engineer magazine in at least December 1976.
(snip) How do I make this baby work to, say, sharpen a 4-flute
endmill? Obviously I need to order the book, but any advice is welcome.

As the others have mentioned, Get the Book!

Absolutely. Hoping to find it, actually. This was built by my uncle,
who unfortunately I can't ask technical questions of at this time. But
he must have had the books when he built and used it, but there's tons
(literally) of books to go through.

The Quorn was designed to not only resharpen cutters, but to be used to
make cutters in small sizes that were not available at the time. The
book covers setups very well, and pretty much gives the step by step of
setting up for a myriad of sharpening jobs.

I found an article from 1976 by Chaddock, talking about sharpening
center drills with it. So that's my first setup then, I think, given
that it's the only actual instructions I have so far

It pretty much qualifies as gross overkill, capabilities wise, if all
you wanted to do was sharpen a few drills and endmills.

Right now, I don't know enough about it to know how much I don't know
about it.

I know that you bought yours, but one comment that I have seen in print
read along the lines of "If you are not a competent machinist when you
start building this tool, you will be by the time it's done"

It's a beautiful piece of work, I'll tell you that. So, yes, I don't
get the benefit of making one, but hopefully my background in maths will
help me understand how to use it.

Thanks,
Dave