Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

Default Safe to drink boiled water from hot tap?

On Sat, 06 May 2006 12:17:16 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:
On Sat, 06 May 2006 10:42:23 +0100, Dave Fawthrop
wrote:

On Sat, 06 May 2006 09:40:58 +0100, Andy Hall wrote:

|On Sat, 06 May 2006 00:28:51 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
|wrote:
|
|David P wrote:
| I am in the UK. Is it generally safe to drink BOILED water from the
| hot tap?
|
| My hot water comes from a tank or cistern in the loft and this feeds
| into a hot water cylinder which is in the house. It doesn't look
| wonderful inside that tank in the loft but I reckon if I BOILED the
| water then presumably I will kill the germs.
|
| Is there another reason why I should not drink boiled water from the
| hot tap?
|
|Its generally safe to drink boiled water from anywhere, apart from the
|outflow of a chemical company.
|

|Such as those who add chlorine, fluorides, chemicals to kill
|invertebrates,......

Ingestion of chemicals is all about the dose, We can happily ingest a
tiny amount of those without *any* ill effects.

I would prefer not to though, and would also prefer to select the
chemical content of what I drink rather than allowing a water company
to do it for me.

Then you are in for a hard time.

Not really. It's a matter of choice.

Unless you intend to synthesise pure water by electrolysis. And
retropsectivly add whatever minerals and organics you decide you want.

Otherwise you get what you are given in whatever form you purchase it,
whether from a water company or Pepsi ...

The point is that I can choose from among thousands of different types
of bottled water from all over Europe. The multinationals such as
Pepsi, Coke and Diageo do have an interest in some of the larger
producers of course.

However, there are many independent producers and I can select based
on different chemical compositions, but more importantly flavour and
hence suitability with different foods.

Or is it just a knee jerk reaction to 'men in white coats' adding
something rather than a dead sheep wedged in a stone wall?

I don't have knee jerk reactions. Only carefully considered ones.

--

..andy