Posted to uk.d-i-y,sci.chem,uk.food+drink.misc
The Natural Philosopher

Default Safe to drink boiled water from hot tap?

Dave Fawthrop wrote:
On Sat, 06 May 2006 00:34:13 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

|Raising the water to 60 C kills about 95% of the bugs in seconds.

That temperature is actually *82* deg C to kill food poisoning bugs
Some food poisoning bugs breed nicely below 64 deg C

|Raising it to 100C kills about 99.999% in about 5 seconds, and 99.99999%
|in 5 minutes.

I didn't say just food poisoning bugs did I?

Anyway, boiling water is 100C, plus or minus.., and kills just about any
pathogen instantly.

Sure, one or two slip through the net, but they are a minority compared
to whats on your hands anyway probably.