Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B

Default Home MIG welder...miller?

"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com...
After much investigation and advice from this group, I have decided to
get hold of some welding equipment for some light duty fabrication.
Basically, I build steel cells for telescope optics, where the optical
elements being supported weigh 15-30lbs. These cells are typically
constructed of 3/4" square x-section steel tubing with a wall diameter
of 1/16". The lengths of the sections range from 10-20" long. They are
assembled into rectangular frames, with diagonal supports, with sides
the lengths of the above sections. I have plenty of scrap to practice
on, and will be building these frames/cells from time to time. I am
getting tired of drilling, cutting and bolting, and would like to
venture into MIG. What MIG welder would you all reccomend for this type
of work. I will be using household current. Also, would flux or gas be
preferable. Finally, for cutting these lengths of tubing, what would be
an improvement on my hacksaw? I have used a rotozip with a metal
cutting wheel, but find this a bit awkward.
Joe

Get a Miller or Lincoln 110v. MIG with shielding gas. Flux core wire will
fry the thin stuff you are trying to weld. Get a small horizontal band saw
from Harbor Freight, about $150 or less on sale. It will be light years
ahead of an abrasive chop saw. No sparks or dust or noise to speak of
compared with an abrasive chop saw. I made four cuts this morning of 2" x
2" x .250" tube, and no sweat.

As mentioned before, totally precise accurate cuts can be a little
difficult, but if you square the blade and scribe the fence in the right
location, it isn't hard. And IF a cut is off, a MIG can easily fill the
gap.

Use short spot welds, and it will look as clean as a TIG weld.

Buy a gas bottle instead of leasing one. Much cheaper. If you are going
to be doing a lot, buy two bottles, because they always go empty on a Friday
afternoon.

Use the smaller wire, probably .023" as it will give you a smaller bead.
Try to weld so you only have to wire brush buff it, and not grind off any
metal.

DO NOT cheap out and buy a piece of crap welder. If you buy a Miller or
Lincoln, chances are it will start first time every time, and if you do have
a problem with it, there is no problem getting parts or service. The same
can't be said for Fukkumamma foreign brands.

The little HF saw will be more than adequate, but you will probably want to
make a table for it, even put it on casters. Buy some feed rollers to hold
up the 20" lengths of material so they don't sag and give you crooked cuts.
Have something supporting or catching the drops, too. When you make your
support table (they come with a POS support table), make a flat square
bordered area to hold your tape, soapstone, and cut pieces.

When you cut, you can stack two or three high, or do multiples of pieces by
stacking them in square or rectangular configurations. Just don't do too
many or you will be waiting a while. Clean off the burrs with a small
grinder, and clean them with a solvent, and dry them with a dry clean rag.
This will help if you want to paint them later. Or just clear coat them.

What you are going to be doing is moving from cutting and drilling and
bolting to working with Tinker Toys and a hot glue gun. It will be light
years easier and faster. Your productivity and quality will soar.

Just some tips.

Steve