Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy

Default what are the best screws for Melamine Board?

In article fXM6g.969$OF6.824@trnddc06,
"dadiOH" wrote:

It (or any particle board) doesn't hold screws well.

Compared to a pre-drilled and threaded solid block of maple?...I guess
you're right.

But... I have driven ( and had driven for me) literally tens of
thousands of low-root PB nub-head screws and seldom did I experience a
failure in any of the assemblies.

What it comes down to, is to make sure that there is sufficient particle
board to screw into and that the proper pre-drill/screw combo is used.
If you screw a # 10 wood screw at 1/2" from the edge of a piece of 5/8
PB...of course it is going to fail.

So much of this is common sense.

Is it wood?

No.

....but I have been in some pretty spectacular houses which were nothing
but concrete and steel. It's all what you do with the materials you
select.

IOW... don't reject PB as a legit material, just because you don't
understand its limitations.

Respectfully I remain,