Posted to rec.woodworking
bdeditch

Default what are the best screws for Melamine Board?

What are the best screws to use with Melamine Board, it seems that
woodscrews strip out very quickly.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH

bdeditch wrote:
What are the best screws to use with Melamine Board, it seems that
woodscrews strip out very quickly.

It (or any particle board) doesn't hold screws well.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking
BobS

Drill hole, insert glue and a piece of dowel - cut flush. Pre-drill dowel
then when you put the screw in, it will have something better to grip. End
grain is not the best but it beats particle board.

Bob S.

"bdeditch" wrote in message
oups.com...
What are the best screws to use with Melamine Board, it seems that
woodscrews strip out very quickly.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Chris Friesen

bdeditch wrote:
What are the best screws to use with Melamine Board, it seems that
woodscrews strip out very quickly.

There are special particleboard screws. They have very thin sharp
coarse threads that stick out more than normal from the shaft so that
they grip as much material as possible while causing minimal disturbance.

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking
Ron Magen

a} 'Thru-Bolt' with flat washers whenever possible
b}Use use Stainless Steel or Brass 'Threaded Inserts' when you can't / won't
/ don't want to

Regards,
Ron Magen
Backyard Boatshop

"bdeditch" wrote in message
oups.com...
What are the best screws to use with Melamine Board, it seems that
woodscrews strip out very quickly.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lew Hodgett

bdeditch wrote:

What are the best screws to use with Melamine Board, it seems that
woodscrews strip out very quickly.

You can't get there from here with wood screws IMHO.

There are some options as follows:

1) Use coarse thread sheet metal screws rather than wood screws.

2) Drill an oversize hole(1/2"), then glue in a 1/2" dowel. Drill
pilot hole in dowel for screw.

3) Drill an oversize hole (1/2"), then fill with epoxy thickened with
micro-balloons. When cured, drill pilot hole for sheet metal screw.

Option 3 is by far the most complex; however, it is also the strongest.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy

In article fXM6g.969$OF6.824@trnddc06,
"dadiOH" wrote:

It (or any particle board) doesn't hold screws well.

Compared to a pre-drilled and threaded solid block of maple?...I guess
you're right.

But... I have driven ( and had driven for me) literally tens of
thousands of low-root PB nub-head screws and seldom did I experience a
failure in any of the assemblies.

What it comes down to, is to make sure that there is sufficient particle
board to screw into and that the proper pre-drill/screw combo is used.
If you screw a # 10 wood screw at 1/2" from the edge of a piece of 5/8
PB...of course it is going to fail.

So much of this is common sense.

Is it wood?

No.

....but I have been in some pretty spectacular houses which were nothing
but concrete and steel. It's all what you do with the materials you
select.

IOW... don't reject PB as a legit material, just because you don't
understand its limitations.

Respectfully I remain,

Posted to rec.woodworking
klaatu

On 5 May 2006 11:29:22 -0700, "bdeditch" wrote:

What are the best screws to use with Melamine Board, it seems that
woodscrews strip out very quickly.

I use these.
http://wwhardware.com/catalog.cfm/ProductID/T0077

Posted to rec.woodworking
MJ

Norm uses a special stepdrill and screws. I think McFeely's sells them.
He's built several things with PB and this setup.

MJ Wallace

Posted to rec.woodworking
Jesse

On 5 May 2006 17:33:27 -0700, "MJ" wrote:

Norm uses a special stepdrill and screws. I think McFeely's sells them.
He's built several things with PB and this setup.

MJ Wallace

I use conformat screws, work well.
http://www.cabinetmart.com/69-6350C.html

Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH

Robatoy wrote:

IOW... don't reject PB as a legit material, just because you don't
understand its limitations.

I don't. I use it for all sorts of stuff. I even use screws in it...but
mostly to hold it together while the glue dries

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

I'm no pro at this, but I did use MB to make an L-shaped computer desk
and support units w/shelving for my computer room last fall (it's still
hangin' together). I had good luck using dadoes combined with those
course deck screws you can get at Home Depot. Pre-drill the holes, of
course, and be gentle when you drive the screws, don't run them in
hard. (I faced the support units with white vinyl, but faced the table
top with red-oak banding with an application of tung oil. It turned out
purtee good, if I do say so myself.)

Posted to rec.woodworking
bdeditch

Well this I what I am doing as well. I am building Kitchen cabinets for
my Daughter. I perfer to use a nice cabinet grade Plywood. But since
she is paying for most of it, we went to the Melamine board route. I
have been counter sinker, but it just seems that I have to go about a
snails pace with the screw gun and be so darn careful when I get near
the end.