Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Gardner

Default Home MIG welder...miller?

"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com...
After much investigation and advice from this group, I have decided to
get hold of some welding equipment for some light duty fabrication.
Basically, I build steel cells for telescope optics, where the optical
elements being supported weigh 15-30lbs. These cells are typically
constructed of 3/4" square x-section steel tubing with a wall diameter
of 1/16". The lengths of the sections range from 10-20" long. They are
assembled into rectangular frames, with diagonal supports, with sides
the lengths of the above sections. I have plenty of scrap to practice
on, and will be building these frames/cells from time to time. I am
getting tired of drilling, cutting and bolting, and would like to
venture into MIG. What MIG welder would you all reccomend for this type
of work. I will be using household current. Also, would flux or gas be
preferable. Finally, for cutting these lengths of tubing, what would be
an improvement on my hacksaw? I have used a rotozip with a metal
cutting wheel, but find this a bit awkward.
Joe

220 split phase IS household power! Get the welder one model better that
you think will do nicely, you won't regret it. Use gas, 75% argon 25%
CO2 -"Stargon" is a common name for it. Get a big tank, little tanks often
need to be rolled around to mix properly. Use .025"-.030" wire. A band saw
would be my first choice, it should hold close enough. Get an "auto-dark"
helmet. Get LOTS of wire brushes, use once and replace.