Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Andrew Mawson

Default Quorn tooling grinder questions

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message
I'm looking for advice on my latest acquisition. It's clearly

capable
of more than I know how to do, but I'd like to know if anyone else

here
is familiar with the "Quorn" as designed by Professor D.H. Chaddock,

and
published in Model Engineer magazine in at least December 1976.

Pictures of a similar if not identical unit here (the one on the

right)
http://www.lawm.freeserve.co.uk/quorn.htm

Anyone have one of these beasties, or something similar, who can

give me
any advice at all? My limit of experience sharpening tools, is

twist
drills on the grinder with a guide, and they come out fine to my

eye.
I'm comfortable with geometry and related math, which seems to me

I'm
going to need. So it's pretty intimidating right now, all those
adjustments. How do I make this baby work to, say, sharpen a

4-flute
endmill? Obviously I need to order the book, but any advice is

welcome.

Oddly enough, if you google for "Quorn", you get a bunch of hits for
some synthetic meat substitute. Amazing what you find on the

Internet.

Thanks,
Dave Hinz

Dave,

Yes a very capable machine - I have one. They were originally
described in a series of articles in Model Engineer, kits are still
available as is the book "The Quorn Universal Tool and Cutter Grinder"
by Prof Chaddock published by Tee publishing ISBN 0 905 100 91 3 which
covers the building and use of the machine. There are two very similar
models - the Mk1 & the Mk2

There is a yahoo group for quorn owners called quorn_owners and I can
conform it has nothing to do with the meat substitute that I can
remember suffering when times were hard when we bought our first
house, but rather is named afeter the village in Derbyshire where Prof
Chaddock lived !

AWEM