Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman

Default interesting problem with water hammering

On Wed, 03 May 2006 21:17:46 -0400, Roger Rlrsk8r at hawt mail dawt
calm wrote:

Lessee
He's a DOUBLE E

That's electrical engineer

And WATER

I see what his problem is. Water and electricity don't mix well.
Really, they're killers when they get together.

He needs to consult a CIVIL Engineer or a MECHANICAL engineer.

Maybe a FIRECHIEF would have the answer, too.

While working as a detail draftsman as a summer job at the GM tech
center in Warren, MI, there was a lunch for us summerstudentpukes
and GM management. Free lunch, what's not to like about that, right?
I happened to be at the same (large) table with the Chief Engineer of
Chevrolet. After almost demonstrating my class, panache and elan by
eating the french dressing thinking it was tomato soup (but I
didn't), I asked him why they hired EE students since an EE wasn't
likely to design an engine or a transmission. (This was in 1963 when
automobiles had no electronics other than radios).

He said not so. He said his experience had been that some EE's
could learn about anything they decided they wanted to learn,
including engine and tranny design, and he has a number of lead
designers in both engines and trannies that were first educated as
EE's.

That isn't to say that there aren't EE's who can't wire up a doorbell
or drive a nail.