Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
SteveF

Default AR-15 lower build

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
. ..

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Mon, 01 May 2006 20:17:55 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
Louis Ohland quickly quoth:

No desire for "The Black Rifle". uncomfortable to carry slung, rattles,
sights could be improved, PITA to clean. An M1 has more glitz.

I hope the XM-8 finally gets issued.

Give me Metalstorm for lots of lead.

Metalstorm? That's what Tom Gardner needed for use outside his shop
during the burglary streak. And mount one on the roof for those people
who would get bad ideas. A perimeter wire would immediately light it
at night so they'd know they were being detected. g

I appreciate the humor! Interesting subject right now, I've been having a
bunch of long conversations with one of my engineers for the past week or
so about firearms...probably catalyzed by my upcoming AR-15 build. I've
been retrospective about what guns are for and every time I went down to
the shop after the alarm and went through the place (it's like a rabbit
warren) gun-in-hand with my heart pounding...God I hate that feeling! I
don't feel so embarrassed, Roger my engineer says He feels the same way
when he's done the sweep thing and he was Special Forces in Nam, an
instructor teaching combat/defensive and was in the unfortunate situation
of having to shoot and kill two tangos that tried to assault him and his
wife that were working late at his business. God, I don't want to kill
anybody especially over "stuff" that can be replaced but God help anybody
that threatens me or mine! Stuff can be replaced!

I made the mistake of congratulating a guy that DIDN'T use a gun when he
might have on the rec guns newsgroup while looking for AR-15 info and was
BLASTED as a pussy anti-gun liberal...that's where the scary gun idiots
are!

Years ago my girlfriend (now wife) called me and told me some drunk was
pounding on her door at 2 am and kept it up for a while before leaving and
she was scared to death. It was a VERY small apartment, 2nd floor, so
nowhere to run or escape. So I brought over one of my handguns and gave her
some instructions (she grew up hunting but didn't have much handgun
experience). She was concerned about needed to go to the range to practice
and my reply was "If someone breaks the glass and is reaching in to unlock
the door, just fire a shot into the drywall over the door. I doubt they
will stick around to see if your aim improves with the second try".

Steve.