Posted to misc.consumers,alt.home.repair
BobK207

Default A Day Without an Illegal Immigrant

Doug Kanter wrote:
"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message
Doug Kanter wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

I for one would
pay a little more money to support our own workforce.

But, who would get this extra money if we kicked all illegals out of the
country? Have you ever seen the backbreaking work involved in harvesting
certain crops? Would you want your kids to do that kind of work?

Ah, then explain the cotton gin! I wonder how many people went around
screaming that the country would come to a halt if there weren't any
slaves to pick cotton.

The simple fact is that ingenuity would probably find a solution cheaper
than the current back breaking stoop labor if illegals were not available.
I think one could make a tight argument that illegals are inhibiting
progress.

Some crops cannot be harvested by machines. If they could be, the machines
would exist. Many cashiers can't get a container of strawberries into a
grocery bag without ****ing them up. No machine will harvest them safely, at
least not until robotics are much further along. A long list of other crops
are also too delicate for anything but human handling.

...................Some crops cannot be harvested by machines. If they
could be, the machines would exist. .............

not if the current alternative is cheaper, if I can have fruit hand
picked for less than the ammortized cost of a machine then there is no
incentive for such a machine to exist.

.. ......No machine will harvest them safely, at least not until
robotics are much further along. A long list of other crops are also
too delicate for anything but human handling......

Again at what relative cost?

as long as we have artificially cheap labor innovation in those fields
will be stunted

no machine could ever fly,
one could ever fly faster than the speed of sound,
it would be impossbile to send a man to the moon & return safely
how could one ever operate on a persons heart
active suspension in a production automobile? too expensive!

what else do we put on the list?

cheers
Bob