Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B

Default My Neighbors are gonna HATE me now...:)

"JR North" wrote in message
Just snagged a brand new 35 yr old DynaJet pulse jet engine on Ebay. Just
wait till I crank this baby up Hee Hee!
JR
Dweller in the cellar

One time back when ............ I would say 1990 .......

they used to hold the Circus Circus RC plane competition at Eldorado Dry
Lake, Nevada. THOUSANDS of participants, each with more than one plane.
Lots of them just on display as miniature scenarios.

One was a small copy of a Nazi buzz bomb rocket, built and flown by a German
team. The take off was a long ramp with a long bungee. The rocket was
locked onto the sliding mechanism. A couple of hefty assistants stretched
the bungee and attached it. They fired up the pulse jet, and revved it to
warm it up. 3-2-1, sproing!

The rocket slung off the upward sloping ramp, and took off. The top speed
was 125 MPH, and the radio electronics allowed for it to fly out of sight if
the operator was not on top of things. They did some low altitude buzzes of
the crowd at 125 mph.

They had called me to build a couple of supports for the ramp, as the
originals were lost in shipping.

The pulse jet had an unusual sound, and I can see why they were called "buzz
bombs" with the putt putt putt sound.

It was way cool. A couple of days were windy, and quite a few planes came
back to their owners in a thousand pieces in a box on the back of an ATV.
Kind of like an RC plane hearse. g

Steve