Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
JR North

Default My Neighbors are gonna HATE me now...:)

Just snagged a brand new 35 yr old DynaJet pulse jet engine on Ebay.
Just wait till I crank this baby up Hee Hee!
JR
Dweller in the cellar

Dependence is Vulnerability:
"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Roy

I used to have a Dyna Jet pulse jet back in around the early 70's
myself. Had it in a RC model F-100 super sabre.........it worked. Even
managed to set a field on fire with it on more than one occasion. I
eventually traded it and the airplane in along with some $$$$ to a
big assed hobby shop in Rantul Illinois, right outside the one gate of
Chanute AFB for a fiberglass F-4 Phantom II RC model kit and a ducted
fan kit.......
You can pretty well rest assured your gonna pi$$ of any neighbors if
they are not very understanding with the Dyna Jet ;-)

On Tue, 02 May 2006 18:26:49 -0700, JR North
wrote:
Just snagged a brand new 35 yr old DynaJet pulse jet engine on Ebay.
Just wait till I crank this baby up Hee Hee!
JR
Dweller in the cellar

Koi-Lo....
Frugal ponding since 1982.
Aquariums since 1956.
Some assholes Pond & Aquarium Pages:
http://maketiny.com/1cT
My pics.
http://n5.se/1cR

*Note: There are several *Koi-Lo's* on rec.ponds.
But, I am the one and only original Koi-Lo.
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
reader

"JR North" wrote in message
Just snagged a brand new 35 yr old DynaJet pulse jet engine on Ebay.
Just wait till I crank this baby up Hee Hee!

Crank this baby up: http://tinyurl.com/nlbo3

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Gardner

"JR North" wrote in message
Just snagged a brand new 35 yr old DynaJet pulse jet engine on Ebay. Just
wait till I crank this baby up Hee Hee!
JR
Dweller in the cellar

I'm commin' over and I'm bringing beer!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B

"JR North" wrote in message
Just snagged a brand new 35 yr old DynaJet pulse jet engine on Ebay. Just
wait till I crank this baby up Hee Hee!
JR
Dweller in the cellar

One time back when ............ I would say 1990 .......

they used to hold the Circus Circus RC plane competition at Eldorado Dry
Lake, Nevada. THOUSANDS of participants, each with more than one plane.
Lots of them just on display as miniature scenarios.

One was a small copy of a Nazi buzz bomb rocket, built and flown by a German
team. The take off was a long ramp with a long bungee. The rocket was
locked onto the sliding mechanism. A couple of hefty assistants stretched
the bungee and attached it. They fired up the pulse jet, and revved it to
warm it up. 3-2-1, sproing!

The rocket slung off the upward sloping ramp, and took off. The top speed
was 125 MPH, and the radio electronics allowed for it to fly out of sight if
the operator was not on top of things. They did some low altitude buzzes of
the crowd at 125 mph.

They had called me to build a couple of supports for the ramp, as the
originals were lost in shipping.

The pulse jet had an unusual sound, and I can see why they were called "buzz
bombs" with the putt putt putt sound.

It was way cool. A couple of days were windy, and quite a few planes came
back to their owners in a thousand pieces in a box on the back of an ATV.
Kind of like an RC plane hearse. g

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Roy

On Tue, 02 May 2006 22:25:15 -0500, Wayne Cook
wrote:
On Wed, 03 May 2006 01:35:20 GMT, lid (Roy) wrote:

I used to have a Dyna Jet pulse jet back in around the early 70's
myself. Had it in a RC model F-100 super sabre.........it worked. Even
managed to set a field on fire with it on more than one occasion. I
eventually traded it and the airplane in along with some $$$$ to a
big assed hobby shop in Rantul Illinois, right outside the one gate of
Chanute AFB for a fiberglass F-4 Phantom II RC model kit and a ducted
fan kit.......

That's interesting. That hobby shop was still there when I was there
in 83-84. I didn't see much about planes though. It was all about cars
when I was there.

I do know the couple of times I was there they seemed to be migrating
more and more to the slot car and RC type cars, and they had a track
or two on the one side of the building. But they had a heap of hobby
kits etc........The F-100 I had was a contropl line not really an RC
type. I really do not know if they made a dynajet with a throttle or
not......but it probably oculd get interesting flying one RC type with
a wide open throttle.

I guess they get their business in that hobby shop from the college
types that use the old military base now as a campus......
Koi-Lo....
Frugal ponding since 1982.
Aquariums since 1956.
Some assholes Pond & Aquarium Pages:
http://maketiny.com/1cT
My pics.
http://n5.se/1cR

*Note: There are several *Koi-Lo's* on rec.ponds.
But, I am the one and only original Koi-Lo.
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wayne Cook

On Wed, 03 May 2006 14:09:59 GMT, lid (Roy) wrote:

On Tue, 02 May 2006 22:25:15 -0500, Wayne Cook
wrote:
On Wed, 03 May 2006 01:35:20 GMT,
lid (Roy) wrote:

[...]

Yep there was at least one big track in there when I was there. Slot
cars was big at that time. I can't remember to many of the details.
It's been to long.

I guess they get their business in that hobby shop from the college
types that use the old military base now as a campus......

Probably. It's sad that it was shut down. I've wondered what
happened to all the display planes they had scattered around the base.
I've got a bunch of pictures around here somewhere of many of them.

I'd heard that they'd shut down Carswell in Ft Worth (I was
stationed there when I got out) as well but looking on Google earth a
short while back showed it to still have some planes on it. I don't
know anything about the Hahn in Germany where I spent most of my time
while I was in the Air Force.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike Berger

I'm pretty sure the hobby shop is long gone. As for the "college types"
that now use the old military base as a campus, were you referring to
the "Hope for the Children" fostering project that pairs older retired
people with foster children, the Lincoln's Challenge Boot Camp for
delinquents, or the people cleaning up the hazardous waste mess that
keeps the rest of the base from being developed?

College types? Campus? Maybe you're thinking of a different
Chanute Air Force Base.

Roy wrote:

I guess they get their business in that hobby shop from the college
types that use the old military base now as a campus......

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex B

Wayne Cook wrote:
I'd heard that they'd shut down Carswell in Ft Worth (I was
stationed there when I got out) as well but looking on Google earth a
short while back showed it to still have some planes on it. I don't
know anything about the Hahn in Germany where I spent most of my time
while I was in the Air Force.

Carswell is still active, though it's now a Joint Reserve Naval Air
Base, so the B52s are mostly gone, but the F14s or F18s fly in and out
all the time.

Rex B
Ft Worth

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ray Spinhirne

Wayne Cook wrote:

On Wed, 03 May 2006 14:09:59 GMT, lid (Roy) wrote:

On Tue, 02 May 2006 22:25:15 -0500, Wayne Cook
wrote:
On Wed, 03 May 2006 01:35:20 GMT,
lid (Roy) wrote:

[...]

Haun is now an Easyjet (low cost Europe airline) port.

Spent the night there summer before last because of a cancelled flight to
London.

Ray Spinhirne

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wayne Cook

On Wed, 03 May 2006 11:48:26 -0500, Ray Spinhirne
wrote:

Wayne Cook wrote:

I'd heard that they'd shut down Carswell in Ft Worth (I was
stationed there when I got out) as well but looking on Google earth a
short while back showed it to still have some planes on it. I don't
know anything about the Hahn in Germany where I spent most of my time
while I was in the Air Force.

Haun is now an Easyjet (low cost Europe airline) port.

Spent the night there summer before last because of a cancelled flight to
London.

Interesting. Seems like a lousy place for a airport. Kind of out in
the middle of nowhere.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wayne Cook

On Wed, 03 May 2006 11:22:14 -0500, Rex B
wrote:

Wayne Cook wrote:
I'd heard that they'd shut down Carswell in Ft Worth (I was
stationed there when I got out) as well but looking on Google earth a
short while back showed it to still have some planes on it. I don't
know anything about the Hahn in Germany where I spent most of my time
while I was in the Air Force.

Carswell is still active, though it's now a Joint Reserve Naval Air
Base, so the B52s are mostly gone, but the F14s or F18s fly in and out
all the time.

Ok. It's apparently the only one of the bases I was stationed at
that's still being used.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
daniel peterman

I met a guy at an airport here in SOCAL few years ago who was kinda an
expert on pulse jets. I ws skeptical so he shoed me into his hangar and
sre enough amog his other treasures were pulse jets in various sizes.
The largest one was about 6 feet long and was made of some exotic metal
he had imported from germany.
His experiments mostly led to meltdowns until he got this metal. He and
a friend
actually took one of the 3 foot size and mounted it to a gokart and
tethered it to a post with a cable. His buddy climbed in and ran a few
fast laps until the valve melted.
He had also built an electric car most out of wood and the most
beautiful 7 cylinder radial model engine I have ever seen. .
No airplane in that hangar so he rarely opened it for fear of losing his
lease

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ray Spinhirne

wrote:

Wayne Cook wrote:

I'd heard that they'd shut down Carswell in Ft Worth (I was
stationed there when I got out) as well but looking on Google earth a
short while back showed it to still have some planes on it. I don't
know anything about the Hahn in Germany where I spent most of my time
while I was in the Air Force.

Haun is now an Easyjet (low cost Europe airline) port.

Spent the night there summer before last because of a cancelled flight to
London.

Interesting. Seems like a lousy place for a airport. Kind of out in
the middle of nowhere.

EasyJet advertises it as a "Frankfort" airport despite the fact that its a 3-4
hour,
30 Euro bus ride. If you think that customer services at US airlines is bad,
they look like VIP service compared to the discount Europe flights.
(And it wasn't just because I was from the US. The treated everyone
equally badly.) We found out that the flight was cancelled because
people on the flight got the information from those waiting in London.
Absolutely no information from the Haun staff, EasyJet is the only service
to the city, no available internet service to find alternatives.

The only saving grace was that the place where we spent the night, and the
people of the town were nice.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jeff Wisnia

JR North wrote:
Just snagged a brand new 35 yr old DynaJet pulse jet engine on Ebay.
Just wait till I crank this baby up Hee Hee!
JR
Dweller in the cellar

Have fun running it, but know that the "tailpipe" can get to a dull red
heat pretty fast.

I had one of them back in the 50s in a "U-control" (control line) model
airplane. I recall it was a PIA to start, I used an old Ford Model T
spark coil to fire the plug and an oversized bike tire pump to supply
the compressed air it needed to start. I only flew it a few times and
gave up and got rid of it when the thrill wore off.

Sometime in the 60s I got to see a mostly intact real German V1 buzz
bomb with its pulse jet engine. It was half buried in the sand on the
beach at the missile range at Eglin AFB in Florida. It's too bad that
unauthorized cameras were prohibited, I would have enjoyed having a
photo of myself straddling the thing a la Slim Pikens in "Dr.
Strangelove", which hit the theaters about that time. G

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wayne Cook

wrote:

Wayne Cook wrote:

[...]

Ouch.

The only saving grace was that the place where we spent the night, and the
people of the town were nice.

Yes most of the people there are very friendly. There was a few bad
apples while I was there of course (I was there when a good bit of the
protest bombing was going on).
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Erik

In article ,
Jeff Wisnia wrote:

JR North wrote:
[...]

I was also into control line models back in the 60's.. mostly combat and
stunt.

I did dabble around with the 'jet speed' crowd a little, and am sure
thats why to this day I don't hear as well as I should. I remember one
'event' in particular where we for some now forgotten reason
needed/wanted to do a a quick ground run in the parking lot. All those
cars parked around reflected and magnified the din many fold. I also
remember the things giving my dad nose bleeds on more than one
occasion...

As Jeff noted, your going to need the Model T coil (don't get shocked,
they REALLY sting) and big bike pump... maybe a compressed air tank
would be better. Power the coil through a normally open push button
switch.

Your probably also going to need to find a set of fuel metering jets. As
I recall most were in sets of 10 or so, and used to adjust the 'mixture'
for different atmospheric conditions. They were pretty fussy about
having the right metering jet. There was a procedure IIRC... you started
it, (and AFTER !!! turning off the ignition coil) stuck one finger in
the intake, then two fingers. As I recall, one finger should not kill
it, and two should or something like that. I don't recall which way you
had to go with the metering jets from the findings. You had to do the
test very quickly and get it shut down with 3+ fingers as to not over
heat the tail pipe. (Smoke from fingerprints and the like would be
coming off the combustion chamber and first 5" of the tail pipe in a
couple of seconds...)

Reed valves were another big issue. They had very short life spans, and
were hard to find even back then, sometimes lasting as little as one
flight. I remember more than once, the edge around one 'petal' fractured
into a jagged mess, and not stopping the engine. The engine sounds
horrible when that happens, and the reeds beat the aluminum port seat
surface up really bad. You had to lap the whole back surface of the head
down to repair it... and it tool a long time to do correctly. I'm sure
the head would have been junk after just a few lappings.

Get the engine in the air asap after starting, they need that cooling
air right away... they need to be released well within a couple of
seconds of a start. Whip it as long and hard as you can after shuts down
or the mounts will more than likely dent the tail pipe on landing.
They're kind of sensitive to dents... If the engine quits during take
off, as they often do, you gotta land it hot...

A lot of the jet crowd had home made tail pipe 'mandrals' they pulled
through the pipes to push dents out. I remember they often opened up
weld pin holes the first time through that also had to be addressed.

This is just the high lights, there were endless other quirks and
idiosyncrasies to the things, and the jet crowd was a whole sub-culture
of their own to the modeling world.

I would suggest Googling to see if anyone out your way is still messing
with the things. They would sure be a big help.

Good Luck!

Erik