Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Gardner

Default AR-15 lower build

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Mon, 01 May 2006 20:17:55 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
Louis Ohland quickly quoth:

No desire for "The Black Rifle". uncomfortable to carry slung, rattles,
sights could be improved, PITA to clean. An M1 has more glitz.

I hope the XM-8 finally gets issued.

Give me Metalstorm for lots of lead.

Metalstorm? That's what Tom Gardner needed for use outside his shop
during the burglary streak. And mount one on the roof for those people
who would get bad ideas. A perimeter wire would immediately light it
at night so they'd know they were being detected. g

I appreciate the humor! Interesting subject right now, I've been having a
bunch of long conversations with one of my engineers for the past week or so
about firearms...probably catalyzed by my upcoming AR-15 build. I've been
retrospective about what guns are for and every time I went down to the
shop after the alarm and went through the place (it's like a rabbit warren)
gun-in-hand with my heart pounding...God I hate that feeling! I don't feel
so embarrassed, Roger my engineer says He feels the same way when he's done
the sweep thing and he was Special Forces in Nam, an instructor teaching
combat/defensive and was in the unfortunate situation of having to shoot and
kill two tangos that tried to assault him and his wife that were working
late at his business. God, I don't want to kill anybody especially over
"stuff" that can be replaced but God help anybody that threatens me or mine!
Stuff can be replaced!

I made the mistake of congratulating a guy that DIDN'T use a gun when he
might have on the rec guns newsgroup while looking for AR-15 info and was
BLASTED as a pussy anti-gun liberal...that's where the scary gun idiots are!

So, Roger explained the facts of life to me as we were discussing the pros
and cons of carrying a gun. There are a LOT of people that have guns that
shouldn't and my point was that if people (not all) have a gun, they are
more inclined to use it rather than use their head. Roger usually carries,
I usually don't. I WAY trust him with my life to carry but there are very
few people that I DO trust with a gun. Most people think that they
automatically become gun experts and psychology experts due to the fact of
ownership It seems that gun owners fit loosely in four categories: Hunters,
Target, Defensive/combat shooters and idiots. The categories don't overlap
much...especially the idiots with guns...and they scare me!

So, no roof nests for me but a shiny new AR-15 and the fun of machining the
lower from a billet, I will cop-out and buy the jig.