ATP

Default The Maytag Man came by today

Loren Coe wrote:
In article , Harold & Susan Vordos
wrote:

"Jim Stewart" wrote in message
... mike wrote:
MKloepster wrote: snip

Cheap *******s who won't pay the higher cost of skilled American
labor are the ones steering this particular ship;
snip

Those cheap *******s are US!!!
How many times have you gone down to the full service store to
look at stuff then called around the discount places to save a
penny? WE won't pay a nickel more than we have to. DEMAND drives
the ship. WE won't buy good stuff, so THEY don't supply good
stuff.

Sometimes people choose cheap because they are tired of being
screwed.

Yep!! Real tired, in fact.
I'm afraid the bulk of us here in the States are in for a wake-up
call. We no longer are an island, not since we started dealing with
the entire planet. How can any of us expect to be paid wages
that are three, four, or fives times greater than those paid in
other countries, when those countries are doing their level best to
capture all the production jobs available? Especially when our
government, in all its wisdom, has been telling us that we are no
longer a manufacturing society, but service based, helping chase the
damned jobs away. Seems to me the "service society"

in 1990, Convex management (later part of Hewlett-Packard) told our
engineers that they were competing with their counterparts overseas
whose wages were much lower. the solution was to move _faster_ and
_smarter_ to keep ahead of the, "dragons".

by 1994, many of our engineers were thinking that almost all low tech
manufacturing would move of shore, leaving computers and telcom here.
my question then was, "can this nation survive just by selling each
other information and fast food?"

by 2001, folks were talking about competing "founderies" overseas (for
chip manufacturing). in about 1994 or so, TI built a memory
manufacturing plant in Richardson, Tx, partnering with a Korean(?)
co. now there are overseas competitors for the "Vitesse" type chips
(fast).

title, along with the jobs it entails, have been shipped to India.
What are we now going to do to make a living?
As long as the unions and workers insist on more for less, I see
everything slowly leaving our country, everything, that is, but jobs
like delivery drivers, which can be accomplished only on location.
Those that remain ... Until the work force establishes wage
equilibrium with other countries, I see jobs continuing to leave
our country wholesale. Sounds to me like pretty much everyone is
going to end up making a lower wage (if they're fortunate enough to
have a job, that is), something in keeping with wages paid in other
countries. It's just a matter of when it happens. Some of ....
Don't lose site of the fact that regardless of how much a worker
gets paid, it is you, the consumer, that pays the salary.
Business will continue to raise prices to compensate for their
increased overhead. They must, or they go out of business. In the
end, we all lose.

... Didn't
any of us learn anything from the auto industry that shot itself in
the foot in the 70's, and were shamefully embarrassed by the
Japanese? All of us should be ashamed of ourselves for the greed
and indifference we have displayed in our ME FIRST society, with our
exorbitant wages and low quality. Heavy sigh! Rant off.
Harold

you cover much ground, Harold, and make concise points. in general,
my opinion as to "why?" this is happening is the fallout of WWII and
certain philosophies adopted in the postwar decades. these were not
owned by any single class: the Marshall Plan, Japanese reconstruction,
the Cold War, and my personal favorite, "the Dale Carnegie methods of
management". the near antipathy of Dale Carnegie, whose name escapes
me, was in postwar Japan, helping them develop a modern base for manu-
facturing.

Is English a second language for you? WTF are you talking about? Or did you
mean antithesis?