Posted to uk.d-i-y
Cicero

Default Cost for council to replace window

"Phil L" wrote in message
k...
ARWadsworth wrote:
Any ideas how much my local council will charge me to replace a 18
inch by 18 inch window in a front door? It is the sort of glass that
has wire mesh through it.

After reading the thread and knowing the circumstances, I can safely say
that the council will not replace the glass, they will more likely change
the door and even possibly the door frame too, after all, they are getting
paid to do it and if it were my house this is what I too would do, they're
highly unlikely to keep costs down.

Expect it to be no less than £500

snip

==========================
The Council will have to take some kind of legal action to make you pay for
the damage and almost certainly they have an obligation to claim only for
the actual damage. They can't claim for a new door and frame just for their
convenience. Even a sledge hammer used on a pane of glass is not likely to
cause damage requiring a whole new door and frame.

Since you've been charged with causing criminal damage it will probably be
up to the Court to make some kind of order for restitution - if you're
convicted. They may not make any such order and if they don't the Council
may feel that it's not worth pursuing you for the cost.

Cic.

It has removed 212 spam emails to date.
Try www.SPAMfighter.com for free now!