Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L

Default Cost for council to replace window

ARWadsworth wrote:
Any ideas how much my local council will charge me to replace a 18
inch by 18 inch window in a front door? It is the sort of glass that
has wire mesh through it.

After reading the thread and knowing the circumstances, I can safely say
that the council will not replace the glass, they will more likely change
the door and even possibly the door frame too, after all, they are getting
paid to do it and if it were my house this is what I too would do, they're
highly unlikely to keep costs down.

Expect it to be no less than £500

Oh, and does the duty solicitor send you a bill or are they free?

No they're not free, you may get legal aid depending on your circumstances
but if not, expect a bill of £90ish

Depending upon damage to neighbours face, expect to pay compensation of
about a grand, maybe more, plus a fine, all in all it should cost you about
£2000, but at least you saved some cash by not getting a builder in and
doing it yourself.
:-p