Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Gardner

Default AR-15 lower build

Cool stuff! Yes, I do have enough important stuff to do but, I've started
to become fascinated with the "Black Rifle" build. Just another bottomless
pit potential? Another hobby run amok? I STILL want one! I have
absolutely no need for one but that never stopped me before. I'll bet there
is a wealth of imperial knowledge here in addition to the vast info on the
web. I have a couple of Ruger 5.56s so I'm familiar with the loads, have
the dies and such and it's cheap to feed and ranges are more accessible than
higher power rounds. Buying a finished rifle doesn't interest me unless it
was almost a gift. I want to make chips...but not too many.

There are billions of variables ranging from plinkers to match. I'm leaning
to the plinker knowing it will be more accurate than I am. Lowers are
available in every form from raw forgings or billets to 80% to finished. The
rest is bolt on fluff. (for now) Anybody have a box-o-parts or abandoned
projects? I'll keep reading but there is almost "too much" and those people
are fanatics, it's hard to filter.