Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fred

Default DIY Fitting Gas Combi (condensing?) Boiler

"Lobster" wrote in message
Fred wrote:
"Lobster" wrote in message

tonyjeffs wrote:

Well my buildings insurance excludes "systems... which have not been
installed or fitted by a suitably-qualified workman" so according to
that, the "competency" issue is not relevant to the claim. I imagine

Since when are qualifications necessary? Suitably qualified means just
that!

That's semantics, but I think if you found yourself in a court of law
suing an insurance company who were refusing to pay out, I don't fancy
your chances if you tried to claim that you, a self-proclaimed "competent"
d-i-y'er, was the same thing as what the insurance company define as a
"suitable-qualified workman"?

David

In some respects you may be right. But if the DIYer can produce a folder of
material which covers the installation of a boiler then I doubt there would
be an issue that he wasn't competent through doing his homework etc.

In practice, apart from of course being totally incompetent, there would
have to be a secondary fault in the boiler for serious consequential damage.