Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
AndrewV

Default Coldsaw vs. Metal-cutting saw?

"Dave" wrote in message
oups.com...
AndrewV wrote:
I have very little experience with "true coldsaws" but I did just

upgrade
from a Makita 14" abrasive chop saw to a 14" dry cut 1300 rpm Evolution
saw.
I haven't had it long enough to comment on blade life but in general I
love
this thing. It's faster , no sparks, no smell far more accurate,no dust
and
no burr. It's a bit noisy but in a fab shop what isn't. I'll still use
the
Makita for some things but it's going to spend a lot more time on the
shelf.
The Evolution saw came with a metal cutting circular saw (promo deal) I
used
it the other day it cut a 4" x 1 1/4" with about the same effort it takes
cut a 2 x4 stick. Just a happy consumer....

YMMV

Andrew

I wonder about kickback. Would an abrasive disk be less likely to
produce kickback?

I think kickback is more a function of technique and good workholding. Also
I've never experienced kickback on a chop saw or a circular saw only on a
table saw and chainsaw.

Andrew