Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

Default Washer and Dryer Hookup Questions.

"phaeton" wrote in message

1) Are the hot water/cold water hookup hoses sold in set lengths, or is
it possible to go somewhere and say "make me a set of hoses N inches
long"?

www.repairclinic.com The braided still hoses are best and come in 6'
lennghts, but the rubber comes in 10' if you need it.
http://www.repairclinic.com/0038.asp?AccCatID=1

I go?

3) Any special considerations when making a drain trap out of PVC?
Just an "S" shape laying on its side, as long as i consider gravity and
stuff i'm ok, right?

Pretty much. Too long a horizontal run and you will get a backup so be sure
it has plenty of pitch to it.

For the dryer:

1) It's a gas dryer, but the gas hookup is now about 54" away.

2) Is it as simple as just getting a really long (60" or 70") flex
connection?

Absolutly not. I've not kep up with the lates codes, but in the past NO
fles was allowed on a dryer. Check your local code to see what it calls
for. Ranges used to allow flex so they could be moved. Vibration from a
motor over time can cause flex to leak.

4) If I extend the hard line, is it possible to buy pre-threaded
sections of pipe like this in set lengths (6", 1', 2', 3', 4' etc)?

Many places will cut and thread what you need.

5) If I extend the hard line, should I mount the pipe to the wall, or
rest it on something on the floor?

Mounted. There are brackets made just for that.

6) What is the proper protocol for sealing the threads of any gas line
(whether I go with hard line or a longer flex)?

Read a book on basic piping. They make a special tape for gas pipe as well
as other thread compounds.

7) Where the gas connection is on the dryer is a bit of a tight fit
(with a wall in the way). I'm relatively sure that a flex line can
safely make the bend and still be within spec, but would there be any
objection or disadvantage to putting a 45 or 90 degree elbow on the gas
fitting so that the flex line doesn't have to bend so much?

I'd not use flex, but the tighter the bend, the more likely failure. Never
a tight bend. Use the proper fittings. Be sure to have a shut off valve
before the connection so the appliance can be turnef off if it has to be
disconnecte for service. I sgtronly recommend you get some help if you've
never done piping before. Proper material and proper methods are very
important for gas. Learn to measure and allow for fittings tool.

8) I have the alumyewminium flexible dryer vent hose that came with the
dryer. Any truth to the rumor that I should always use hard duct with
gas dryer, or will this be fine?

Smoother the better. Only use the flex if you have to. Straight sections
are less likely to accumulate lint.