Donald

Default Help with bearing and collet use/design please...

"jt" wrote in message
Toolpost thingy to mill/drill/grind/etcetera:

---------
Why not buy a cheepo chinese air powered die grinder and make a aluminuim
shaped bock to fit the air ginder, clamp them togeher with 2 ss hose clamps
and bolt to your cross slide.
Worked for me
Don Warner
----------
1.5 x 2 x 3.5 inch block mounted on the toolpost stud, spindle hole

drilled
on the centreline of the lathe, small motor mounted on the other end and a
few pulleys to connect it to the spindle.

I'll need a simple collet to hold mill cutters with a 3/8" shank. Right

now
I'm thinking of a nut with an internal cone and a collet that sits in a

hole
drilled in the end of the spindle, like a large version of a pin-vise; but
should I be using the flat which is ground on the cutter shanks?
Suggestions on the whole arrangement are welcome.

What kind of bearings and arrangement of same should I use for the spindle
that will turn the cutter?

Anything else I should figure out before the hacksaw stage?