Posted to rec.woodworking
Phisherman

Default Clear Douglas Fir ???

On Fri, 28 Apr 2006 16:54:29 -0400, Dennis Johnson
wrote:

Built some outside flower planter boxes 15 years ago out of Clear
Douglas Fir and time and weather have finally taken their toll. Went to
the borg looking for more CDF and there wasn't any. Called a few lumber
yards and they had none but might be able to order some. I always
thought of it as a great utility wood for outdoor things that I wanted
to last and look nice.

I have since switched to cypress and know that this will be great. But
I'm still wondering what happened to CDF. Any ideas ??

Not sure about CDF. I am looking for MDO and I asked several BORG
folks who know nothing about it. MDO is a good material for outdoor
projects too. For making your flower boxes you might want to consider
wooden pickets made specifically for fences. The wood is usually
redwood, cedar, cypress, or treated. White (only white!) oak is also
a very good choice. Use SS screws to eliminate the black streaking.