Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce L. Bergman

Default interesting problem with water hammering

On Sat, 29 Apr 2006 09:26:03 -0400, "Bob Chilcoat"
wrote:

On the subject of washer hoses, I noticed one day that the hot water hose
for the washer had a significant bulge right at the bib, so I immediately
shut off the water to the washer, and told my wife that she was NOT to use
the washer until I could replace the hose that evening. I figured that I'd
really dodged a bullet, since my workshop was directly below the laundry
room.

When I got home that evening with the new (higher quality stainless
steel wrapped) hose and went down to my workshop to get some tools, I
noticed that there was clear evidence of water on some of my tools (table
saw, band saw, etc.). I went upstairs and looked at the hose and discovered
that the bulge in the hose was now a jagged hole. My wife and daughter were
looking very sheepish. Apparently, despite my very clear warnings that the
hose was about to burst, my then college-student daughter insisted that she
needed to do a load of laundry right then. Not having any real idea what
she was agreeing to, my wife said OK, just one load. The hose burst within
minutes of them turning on the water, as I would have predicted.

Repeat after me: Lockout and Tagout procedures. "It's not just for
industry anymore!"

If you don't have a real lockout device for something, you put a big
note in front of the item, and the note is taped to something really
heavy that isn't going to move.

And the tag is so they know what not to do, and to remind them WHY
they do not want to do it. Explained in enough detail (the gorier the
better) that they will decide not to, and explaining what will happen
to someone who ignores the warning and tries it anyway...

And when you add in children or parents with ahem memory issues,
it gets even more important. Tell them not to use something, and they
forget in 5 minutes. Leave a big note and lock the power cord inside
a toolbox, and they remember.

-- Bruce --
Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545