Posted to rec.woodworking
AAvK

Default Clear Douglas Fir ???

Built some outside flower planter boxes 15 years ago out of Clear
Douglas Fir and time and weather have finally taken their toll. Went to
the borg looking for more CDF and there wasn't any. Called a few lumber
yards and they had none but might be able to order some. I always
thought of it as a great utility wood for outdoor things that I wanted
to last and look nice.

I have since switched to cypress and know that this will be great. But
I'm still wondering what happened to CDF. Any ideas ??

I can get it at two or three places in Santa Barbara county (west coast US),
not that I do, but yes as far availability. It's in the $7 per board foot range.
Beautiful wood but a lot of "orange" color. It does make for very nice french
doors and such, framing around the glass. My mother's rotating (rolling bars
and gears with stops) quilting frame is made of it.

But for outdoors you could go for red wood too, and for an awesome wood
that is in the same price range check out a south American lumber called IpeŽ
(Pao LopeŽ), usually sold as boards for decking and sold by the linear foot, like
$3. It will outlast "anything" else as it is super hard and full of micro silicates
(rock sand). No finishing needed for at least 25 years. Greenheart is just as
good.

--
Alex - "newbie_neander" woodworker
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com