Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave

Default Coldsaw vs. Metal-cutting saw?

wrote:
[...]
As you can tell, I am sold on cold saws. I bought mine used for a
grand, almost 15 years ago. No problems with it in all that time,
except when an overenthusiastic employee actually snapped the 3/4"
diameter, 2 foot long saw handle off at the threads, by pulling down
too hard while cutting steel. No damage to the blade, or the saw, but
the handle broke- this is a testament to the way these things are
built.
Mine is a Haberle, made in Germany, but I understand most of the
current brands are similar highquality German, Dutch, or Italian saws.
Doringers are made in the US.

Yes, they cost a lot more.
But they are built like tanks, and will outlive you. So if you are
planning on making things from metal for any period of time, they will
pay for themselves in the end.

Well I wonder how safe or unsafe these 1500 RPM (5500 SFPM?) saws are?
If a true coldsaw runs so slow does it use a really thick blade so
that a lot of pressure can be applied to it?

Looking around I see;

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=228013

3.14*7.25*5800/12 = 11003 SFPM ???