Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
rigger

Default Coldsaw vs. Metal-cutting saw?

Dave wrote:
A thread got started on the bandsaw group regarding coldsaws and the
pseudo-coldsaws such as these;

http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/to...?categoryID=88
http://www.milwaukeeconnect.com/weba...131_189330_362

Can someone who has experience with coldsaws please explain how these
differ in performance and blade lifespan (cost effectiveness) compared
to true coldsaws?

Thanks,

Dave

Hi Dave. Since my shop experience is almost nil I can't comment on
costs but I have observed many cold saws in use. It seems they're used
mostly where flexibility of a bandsaw blade would cause problems. I've
seen them in use frequently where they were used for cutting large
solids such as those in large forging operations where ingots are first
cut down before going to the presses. I imagine cutting straight
through a 48x48 chunk of steel would be difficult with a bandsaw unless
the blade was immense, however I've only seen such huge bandsaw blades
in wood sawing operations.

dennis
in nca