Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve Smith

Default OT sudden back pain

A couple of things to add to what's been said (all good stuff):

I go for alcohol as a muscle relaxant. Pick your favorite. The idea is
your muscles are hurt and clenched up as a result of the
injury--relaxing them helps them heal faster.

I've gotten useful help from a chiropractor or masseuse, but I find
their help less effective the longer I wait after the injury.

I don' t know about you, but in my case I had problems because I have a
desk job and do blacksmithing on weekends (i.e. moving heavy things at
times). My chiropractor got me to doing morning exercises to strengthen
my back and stomach muscles, which helps a lot. So does paying close
attention to correct lifting practices.

Steve

Ignoramus21303 wrote:

Something strange happened yesterday. I was riding a bicycle, along
with my son also riding his tricycle. He finally got tired and asked
me to carry his bike home, which I did by riding my own bike with his
tricycle in my right hand.

So far so good.

Then, as I arrived home, still sitting on my bicycle, I leaned to set
his tricycle on the ground. As I did that, I had sudden back pain and
it is not going away. I have hard times bending in a certain way and
walk with a funny gait.

What could this be and should I be worried?

thanks