Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Givens

Default Lutron Dimmers Arcing

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 00:50:38 GMT "PipeDown" wrote:

While you may be within the mfg spec limits, you have demonstrated that they
still do not perform well under these conditions. They still work, right?
You just don't like to see the arc when you flip the switch, right?

Yes they work but the arcing is now awful. Before, it was a slight pop on
the contacts being made and over time it turned into a crackling noise, I
guess as the contacts eroded. Residue would build up on the exterior of the
switch about the rocker.

I then went to having the slider all the way down before turning it on and
the other day as I slid the slider up there was a *lot* of arcing, over a
period of several seconds.

So it seems to be either an issue of poor quality switches or a fair
overload. 10 65W incandescents at = 125VAC, even if sloppy load tolerances
it seems to be a very unforgiving switch.

I'm sure there are better quality controls. Look for commercial quality (as
opposed to contractor or homeowner grade) switches and they will perform
better. Heavier metal contacts, thicker plating, more durable plastics and
higher current components would be found in the better switches. (not that
it will be labeled as so)

Can you recommend a brand? Everything I see in the mega stores is all the
same stuff. One poster recommended the Diva Lutron variant.
JG... Jeff Givens

"My hovercraft is full of eels."