Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
R. Zimmerman

Default Coldsaw vs. Metal-cutting saw?

I have used a dry cut saw for a handrailing project where the inserted
panels were one inch angle quarter inch thick. The advantage to the saw
was that we could make extremely acute angle cuts less than 30 degrees.
We did hundreds of feet of panels. The original pile of twenty footers
would total something like three or four thousand feet. We used the same
blade for the job. By the end it was getting slow to cut but that was weeks
of use eight hours a day. The thing was noisy but gave relatively burr free
cuts compared to an abrasive saw. It is relatively portable running on 110
volts.
If I remember the company paid around 500 dollars Canadian for the unit
in the late nineties. The motor will eventually burn out since they are
light duty and high speed.
The normal way to cut in the handrail department was using a cold saw
which had a carbide blade moving at around 100 rpm max. The coolant
recirculated.
The cuts were about as fast as an abrasive chop saw but quieter and burr
free. The accuracy of the cuts was dead on since a proper cold saw is more
like a machine tool being very rigid. One saw had a carbide blade and was
used by the handrail guy. The other machine had a HSS blade. It was more
forgiving if abused so it was for general use. These machines were wired
for three phase power. A new unit would cost anywhere from 2500 to 5000
dollars depending on brand, quality and options. Life span if maintained
properly is in the decades. A large band saw with tilting frame would cut
faster but then you are way over the ten thousand dollar mark.
Randy

"Dave" wrote in message
oups.com...
A thread got started on the bandsaw group regarding coldsaws and the
pseudo-coldsaws such as these;

http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/to...?categoryID=88
http://www.milwaukeeconnect.com/weba...uct3_27_40027_
-1_278586_281131_189330_362

Can someone who has experience with coldsaws please explain how these
differ in performance and blade lifespan (cost effectiveness) compared
to true coldsaws?

Thanks,

Dave