Posted to misc.consumers.house
Tomes

Default Roofing question

Hi Jan,
The tar paper is black, and the black is due to the usage of carbon black.
Carbon black is a very effective UV absorber, and is used universally to
prevent/mitigate UV damage in many items that remain in the sun, such as
power and telecom cables. You ought not have aging problems with the
exposure of the tarpaper to the sun for this short of a time.
Tomes

wrote in message
A friend of mine in South Florida is having her roof replaced. The
roofing company started work over 45 days ago. They put the tar paper
(she and I don't know the actual name of that stuff) and nails on the
roof, but they haven't put the tiles on yet. She's worried that she'll
have problems because the roof has been sitting in the sun for that
length of time without any tiles.

Does anyone know if there is any limit to how long the paper can sit
there uncovered before the elements (mainly strong sun) does damage?

BTW, it's very difficult to get roof repairs (or many other types of
repairs) done in S. Florida since Hurricane Wilma. It's still the land
of blue tarps.

I tried a google search, but I couldn't find anything.

thanks in advance for any information.

ttfn,
jan