Posted to alt.home.repair
DT

Default Free standing deck

In article .com,
says...

8 X 8 sunk 4 feet. 12' next to home extending out 16'. I'm the wife,
my husband can talk more intelligently about this, but we would like
not to drill/break into exterior walls. That's why we thought free
standing deck. Cross lacing -- how without obstructing basement door?
We can cross lace on south side (opposite basement door) and west side
without any problem.

I would use the posts to carry the vertical load, and just brace to the house
to eliminate swaying rather than attaching a full load-bearing header. There is
no problem what so ever with drilling into masonry. It does not compromise the
bricks or lead to leaks, as the holes do not go all the way through. I would
use 3/8" Redheads every two feet.

You will still need to cross brace across the open end, but not the sides
leading to the house with this method.

--
Dennis