ATP

Default Woodworker Want To Weld

Don Foreman wrote:
On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 12:35:38 +0000, Andy Dingley
wrote:

So make it easy for yourself. Get some thick stock, get spray
transfer running nicely (use a decent machine and turn the feed up)
and then fool around with it. Learn how to point the torch and
control the bead. Then only when you're happy with that, start
going thinner and turning things down.

The little 120 volt wirefeed boxes can barely do spray transfer so
they're not "decent machines" in that context.

I don't think they can achieve spray transfer at all in a practical context.
There may be some combination of very thin electrode and high argon gas that
will get you there, but it's more likely you'll be in the range of globular
transfer. At work I have an old three phase 250 amp machine, probably the
minimum requirement for spray transfer on thick materials using .035 and
..045 electrode, with 92/8 gas. I love it, the arc is drawn into the weld
joint and spatter is virtually eliminated. I can actually weld some very
thin materials with quick bursts and no burn-through. For data on voltage
and wire feed settings, www.weldreality.com is a good resource.