Posted to sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair
Jim Yanik

Default WD-40 alternative for corrosion treatment?

DaveC wrote in
news.net:

Thus spake GregS:

What do you mean by "Whatever you do I would advise you against
soaking a board in anything for a few days, imo that would be asking
for trouble!"?

I'll tell you how I would call it. I have boards made, and they wash
them with water for a short period, then they blow dry them. They set
out and dry.

If it was soaked in water for a few day's, I think that would spell
real trouble. These boards didn't work anyway, so they had to be
baked after the short washings. Water might very well get sucked into
the layers and take a long time to dry unless baked. Other solvents
may very well start to dissolve

stuff.

greg

This is a *long* term project. I'll be letting the boards sit in the
sun for days at a time (inside).

IMO,that is insufficient drying.
At Tek,we put boards or complete instruments in a drying oven at 120-140
degF for *at least 3 days*,and the oven had a negative pressure to draw out
moisture.(exhaust fan) You don't want to go higher than 140,or plastics may
soften and warp(like TEK cam drums for switches)

You would do better putting the boards inside your car and leaving it in
the sun. The car's interior reaches 140degF.

Any soaking they get will be followed
by more than sufficient drying times.

Thanks,

--