Posted to rec.woodworking

Default glue squeeze out

In article ,
mark wrote:
How do you deal with glue squeeze out. If i wipe with a damp sponge I find
that area does not take stain as dark as the rest of the wood. I am making
raised panel doors and if I let the glue dry around the cope joints it is
impossible to remove. Should I stain before glue up?

IMHO there is no single answer, e.g. using a sharp chisel to scrape of
partially hardened glue may not be possible due to access & angle of
attack constraints. However, using a "damp" sponge or rag will surely
not work. If you are going to remove the squeeze out with a rag or
sponge, it has to be WET, almost soaking WET, and you have to SCRUB at
the glue, or wou will have the staining problems you describe.

Staining before glue up works well but do not allow any stain to get
on the mating surfaces of the glue joint.

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland